Update:

Panting Pooches consistently serves 10+ countries on 6 continents every week! Welcome to every one across the planet!

Friday, April 11, 2014

Take a Minute, Thank a Tech

by Linnea on 01/06/13

Quite often, I'm asked why I decided to stop being a vet tech... which is always surprising to me.  Most people don't know this is a very high turn-over rate for techs and it's rare to meet a career tech.  It's a stressful, highly demanding job with such hazards as animal bites, bruises, cat scratches and it's share of xray exposure.  Many people don't understand that techs are the equivilent to nurses, every type of nurse combined.  Techs are your exam room nurse, your pharmacy technician, your anesthesiologist, your radiology technician, your phlebotomist, your recovery room nurse, your ER nurse, your dental hygeniest, your pediatric nurse, your hospice caretaker .. and so on and so on.  Techs are taught to do it ALL.  Then throw in a workforce of typically 95% women, 5 seconds to eat lunch, and crossing your legs because you're too busy for a bathroom break.  While a tech is taking care of a cat in kidney failure, they're wondering about the health of their own kidneys, counting the hours since the last time they were able to use the bathroom.
After leaving my position at my second hospital - where I was in charge of the nursing team, I decided I wasn't going to go back to being a tech.  I took my internship at the zoo, then became a hydrotherapy associate.  It was when I was planning my move to Arizona that I needed a job to pay the bills, so I took another position being in charge of my new hospital's medical team again.  I left that job when I was offered a job at a hospital where hour lunches were relatively mandatory, there was a couch in the break room and the hospital was decorated in relaxing earth tones :) A year later, I got married and moved to Cochise county.  It was time to be my own boss and start to focus on preventing illness and disease .. thus Panting Pooches was born.  But I want to shine some light on the stresses of being a vet tech and some of the animals that will forever be in my memory ...

Vet techs get the unpleasant duty of going over an estimate ... and the higher the amount, the more nervous they are.  People see dollar signs without understanding the medical care their pet would be receiving.  When we took Butkus to the doggy ER for his snake bite, the tech breathed a sigh of relief when I instantly signed the $1,700-$2,700 bill without so much as a complaint.  I explained to her "I teched for 7 years... I understand".  Techs often receive the brunt of everything .. client woes and painful patients..
The only dog bite I ever received was from the sweetest dog who was in and out of seizures all day long despite medications.  I was trying to give him his medication rolled in a ball of canned food, when he seizured up and clamped down on my finger, slicing the tissues down the middle.  His name was Bruno, some kind of St Bernard mix and the poor guy moaned through out the day, as he didn't understand why his body was failing him.  His family painfully decided to end his pain the next day.
One day in Tucson, a woman brought her GSD puppy in for humane euthanasia.  The puppy was born disformed with an incomplete spine.  The woman was afraid that her husband was going to find his own way to get rid of the puppy due to the inconvenience.  I'm not a crying person but we shed tears together in that exam room over a 4 week old puppy.
A geriatric doberman found itself in one of my hospitals on a saturday morning ... he was severely ill with an enlarged abdomen .. upon ultrasound we found his abdomen was full of fluid and his bloodwork levels were all over the charts.  The owner could not make up his mind whether he wanted to transport to the ER (as our hospital was supposed to close at 1pm), run more tests, or euthanize.  He paced back and forth and even left the hospital for a few hours when we advised him not to.  As he was gone, I lay on the floor of our radiology suite with this dogs head in my lap.  The moment the owner stepped back into the hosptal, I watched this dog take it's last breath.  The doctor and I immediately started CPR all while trying to inform the client what was happening.  The doberman died in my arms because his owner couldn't make a decision one way or another.  I couldn't look at that owner another minute .. and had to cool off outside.

Vet Teching is very emotionally demanding and incredibly difficult when you become attached to patients, in the way I was.  I hated to see them suffer and often times having to explain to clients that they are often the reason their pet is now in the hospital, due to negligence or mere irresponsibility.  The hours are long, the pay is so-so and the anxiety can be too much to bear sometimes. While I owe so much to my years of experience, I know that my specialty is in prevention.  Healthy pets live longer lives!  I take my pet nutrition very very seriously and to Zoey's dismay, I'm constantly telling my pooches 'no fatties in this house!'

So the next time you're at your animal hospital, thank a tech.  They deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment