Update:

Panting Pooches consistently serves 10+ countries on 6 continents every week! Welcome to every one across the planet!

Friday, April 11, 2014

Activities for a Rainy Day

by Linnea on 09/12/12

Now that Fall and Winter are coming, some yucky weather will be coming with it.  Here in the southwest, our winters are often damp, making it muddy outside.  Our northern neighbors have to deal with inches of snow and sub-zero temps.  Some of us have dogs that aren't too fond of below 70's temperatures.  So I try to come up with indoor activities to keep everyone from getting cabin-fever...

*Puzzle Toys - These are particularly useful for food motivated dogs (not all are!)  There are lots of different options out there.. Nina Ottosson makes top of the line puzzle toys, they are also the most expensive.  I'm a fan of Kyjen puzzles, we have the 'paw flapper' puzzle at home.  Something to consider .. if you trust your dog with removable parts, or if you should stick with puzzles with hinges.

*Interactive toys - Similar to puzzle toys, but these tend to make your pooch move about the room to get their treats/kibble.  We have the Kong wobbler in our house.  Our buddy Butkus has lots of fun carrying it from room to room and batting at it with his giant paws.  Unlike the typical Kong toys, the wobbler is made of a durable hard plastic.  We also have a ToysRUs Treat Ball which is actually quiet tricky to get treats out, but not a great option for heavy chewers.  There is of course, the ever popular traditional Kong toys.  Each of our 4 dogs has their own distinct Kong toy - different shapes, sizes, colors to help prevent confusion.  I take my Kong-making to the next level.. I add a little bit of kibble first, then some healthy canned dog food, then sometimes frozen yogurt ice cubes or a bit of peanut butter, then freeze them.  Freezing them helps keep pooches cool on hot days, but it also freezes the yummy contents, making it more difficult to finish quickly.  For some recipes to use inside traditional rubber Kongs, click here.

*Indoor activities:  I have to admit, I play hide and seek with my dogs on occasion.  It's always me doing the hiding, but they have great fun trying to find me when I duck behind an open door and squeeze between the door and the wall and whistle if they have trouble finding me.  Sometimes I'm in a closet and sometimes I'm in a cabinet, yes I can fit into kitchen cabinets.. my husband can vouch for this.  I sometimes will also hide kibble around the house, forcing the dogs to 'hunt' for food the old fashioned way, with their noses. And they LOVE it!  My husband has also been caught running up and down the stairs with the dogs in hot pursuit.  Great cardio for everyone.

If your pets partake in the taste-testing activities, factor in these additional treats with their overall caloric intake.  Keep those pooches slim!  But most of all, keep their minds engaged.  Bored, under-exercised dogs become destructive dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment