Update:

Panting Pooches consistently serves 10+ countries on 6 continents every week! Welcome to every one across the planet!

Friday, April 11, 2014

Pet Sitting is NOT a Glamorous Job

Contrary to what many believe, working with animals is not all candy canes and lollipops.  They're not all puppies & kittens, and some pets could care less if you're there.  I think this often as I'm picking up mounds of dog poop, spewed hairballs, scooping really stinky kitty litter, and the occasional pile of grass that a dog vomited up.  Yummy..

I started working with animals (professionally) when I was 20, as a vet tech assistant.  I started with laundry, cleaning kennels and rooms.  Poop and pee - lots of it.  Of course I stuck around long enough to become an actual veterinary technician and upgraded to working with blood, flakes of dental tartar, abscesses, open wounds and more!  As a technician, I've had multiple cat scratches up my arms, bruises from large dogs, and 2 very minor dog bites. This is a large cause of the high turn-over rate for technicians.

But as a professional who strives to give peace of mind, I'm always cleaning up after the pets.  Cleaning up kitty vomit and thrown up hairballs, picking up doggy poop - sometimes big sometimes small, even getting completely covered in dog hair when they're blowing their coats.  I've even gotten a few thorns in the feet while walking dogs near mesquite.  I joke that I'm also a professional thorn/burr picker, dogs are always so appreciative when I gently lift their paw up and pull out whatever foreign body is bothering them.

But to me, it's worth it. Dogs and cats are what I know and helping vacationing families feel comfortable is a priority of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment