Update:

Panting Pooches consistently serves 10+ countries on 6 continents every week! Welcome to every one across the planet!

Friday, April 11, 2014

No Grains, No Way, No How

by Linnea on 09/19/13

I need a bit of a ramp-up on this blog entry.  I should start off with saying I was once a mis-guided uneducated dog owner once, even in my early vet tech days.  I didn't have enough experience to question what I had been hearing all along, believing that what I heard from my vet's was absolute truth.  In human medicine we get second opinions if we're not sure about the initial treatment plan/advice, we do our own research on treatments and illnesses and consider alternative treatments (acupuncture, chiropractic, herbs are all considered alternatives).  So the concept of extra research shouldn't be foreign when it comes to our pets.  At a certain point in my animal career, I started becoming interested in alternative therapies for myself which led to an interest in all options for my dog.  When Pepe was a puppy I fed him a popular kibble promoted by my animal hospital, I thought it was top notch and even recommended to family and friends. Well I was wrong.  The longer I worked with animals, the more I saw how nutrition impacts their health and how certain medical issues could be directly stemmed from the food they eat every single day. So I began my quest of animal nutrition, attending CE's (continuing education credits) on diet and reading food labels and researching, researching researching...

My dog's have been grain-free for years now.  I do not allow wheat or corn to touch their lips and my 'rules' for nutrition carries over in their treat selections as well.  The first proof that grains should not be a part of a cat or dog's diet is to look at their teeth ... they have teeth designed for ripping and tearing, not for grinding.  Their bottom jaw does not have the ability to swing as they chew.. our bottom jaws swing in a similar fashion as ruminants (cows, sheep, goats etc.)  Humans and ruminants swing their bottom jaw for the purpose of chewing down grains and plant materials - dog's and cat's do not have this ability to even chew plant material properly.  Although whatever plant material in kibbles has been processed and doesn't require the amount of chewing it would in it's natural state, the inability to chew them is a strong indicator that it shouldn't be in their diets in the first place.

One major reason to remove grains from their diets is due to how grains are broken down in the body.  As we all know, carbohydrates are categorized into simple carbs and complex carbs.  Both break down into sugars, and excess sugar is the enemy.  Sugar specifically feeds yeast and cancer.  If your dog battles ear yeast infections, most likely diet is the cause.  If your pet battles with skin issues, there could also be an overabundance of yeast on the skin.  Cancer also feeds on sugars in the body.  When a pet is diagnosed with cancer, veternarian's put them on a high fat/high protein/low carb diet (Hill's N/D diet is for cancer and due to the high fat content, only a canned version is available).  Cancer needs sugar to live, so vet's put pet's on a strict diet to limit sugars as much as possible.  So then why don't we feed anti-cancer diets as a proactive solution??

Dr. Gregory Ogilvie, DVM at Colorado State University has done extensive research in the matter of canine cancer and the role that diet has on cancer.  Studies by Dr. Ogilvie have shown that dogs with lymphoma fed a diet high in simple carbs had significantly worse outcomes than dogs fed diets high in fat. Additionally, studies have shown that dog's and cat's that were fed grain-free diets, had 50% less cancer occurrences than those fed grain based diets.  Wow!!!  Those numbers alone are what convinced me to make the switch. 

Dog Food Advisor has done a great job at pointing out even more reasons why grains should be eliminated from the diet.  The food reviewers at Dog Food Advisor really get into the detail on why certain food ingredients are poor choices and they have an extensive forum community where pet 'foodies' can post question and reply to each other. Here is a forum on grains from earlier this year and you can see there are many other knowledgeable pet owners who are very mindful of what they feed their dogs. (They have yet to make a CatFoodAdvisor.com).

Take a turn and compare a grain-based diet compared to a grain-free diet.  Read through the ingredients of each and specifically read about ingredients that they highlight in red.  Now a dog or cat will survive on both of these foods, but they will only THRIVE on one of them.

I hope this has been informative and not overwhelming (this is my short version of why grains are a no-no!).  All I want is for your furry ones to live long happy healthy lives, and nutrition is the easiest way to do this.

Some informative links:

Cancer Diet for Dogs - Modern Dog Magazine
More Protein, Less Carbs - FightCanineCancer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment