Update:

Panting Pooches consistently serves 10+ countries on 6 continents every week! Welcome to every one across the planet!

Friday, April 11, 2014

Homemade Outdoor Dog Beds

by Linnea on 02/14/13

I had been wanting to make our own pvc dog beds for the doggy yard since they tend to lay in the dirt while sunning themselves.  For the size of bed I wanted, purchasing them online usually costs about $70 .. for a yard of fabric and pvc?? No thanks!
You can purchase pvc at Home Depot or Lowes and depending on the thickness, you can get 10' for around $8-$10.  But the local stores didn't have the elbow fittings I needed for the size of pvc I wanted - I wanted at least 1 1/2" to support our larger doggies.  The stores should be able to cut it for you too.
The fabric I bought online from FabricGuru.com .. under the outdoor fabric section.  I bought 2 yards (enough for 2 large beds) and with shipping, it was about $24 - my only cost for the project!  I decided to use 2x4's, which we already had some old ones laying around - so no extra cost there.  I cut the wood myself and my husband helped me drill the frame together.  I then nailed the fabric on as tightly as possible.  The fabric will stretch over time and it's important to use outdoor fabric.  I can't say for sure how much weight it'll hold .. Sarge is 65lbs which seems ok, but Butkus is 120 lbs and this particular bed I made probably won't hold him ... at least as he steps on it ... just laying on it with the weight dispersed might be ok.

If you want to use pvc, here are some great instructions! 

But be prepared.. after all that hard work on the new doggy bed .. it may take some time for your dogs to learn its OK to lay on it, and not in the dirt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment