Update:

Panting Pooches consistently serves 10+ countries on 6 continents every week! Welcome to every one across the planet!

Monday, July 8, 2019

Cheap Corn Based Cat Litter

I've been wanting to upgrade our cat litter for quite some time but have not wanted to pay the higher prices that come with 'fancier' litter.

We've been using clay litter this whole time and the dust and smell (fragrance) drives me nuts. Plus the fact that clay litters can be unsafe because of the dust that gets on your cat, then your cat grooms themselves, ingesting clay dust.

I have always liked corn based litters and even Walnut shell litters but these are as pricey as you can get. 'Worlds Most Expensive Cat Litter (what I call a certain brand) is an outrageous $1/lb but it is my favorite. I decided to experiment when the opportunity arose....

The other week I did a fog bug bomb in my garage. I thought I removed everything I needed to except for an open 40lb bag of chick crumbles. I wasn't about to use the crumbles as feed and I didn't want to throw out a brand new bag. So I decided to try it in one of the litter bins... And tada!

Chick crumbles soak and clump up urine just like the fancy litters! The smell and dust are so much more tolerable than the clay based too and in my opinion, sifts through a litter scoop easier than Walnut litters.

A 40lb bag of chick crumbles averages $15, a HUGE savings over cat litter corn. For those who don't own chickens, you can buy chick crumbles at any feed store or even some Walmarts. They come in all sizes in case you want to try a small bag, and come in Medicated or Unmedicated (an antibiotic).

I still have a clay litter box next to the corn box, to allow the cats to choose and get accustomed. They use both equally and once we use up the clay litter, I plan to fully switch over to chick feed!

No comments:

Post a Comment