Update:

Panting Pooches consistently serves 10+ countries on 6 continents every week! Welcome to every one across the planet!

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Review: Kyjen Slo-bowl

I purchased the Kyjen Slo Bowl 2 months ago after our American Staffordshire, Sarge, had gotten to the point of eating his food too fast.  He was finishing 1.5 cups of food within 45 seconds and that was just too quickly for my peace of mind.  Having been a vet tech for a number of years and seeing my share of emergency visits of dog's who were bloating (gastric dialation and vovulus syndrome),  I will prevent bloat in any way I can.

Slow-feeding bowls have been around for years and the designs keep getting better and better.  I have heard of people using tennis balls or a large rock in their dog's food bowl, but in our case Sarge is tennis-ball OBSESSED and I think putting any non-edible object in a dog's food bowl is irresponsible.  Why not invest $10 in a bowl specifically designed to slow them down and possibly save their life?

We've had the Kyjen Slo-bowl for 8 weeks now and Sarge's 45 second meal has now turned into 4 minutes!  Success!  When we first started using the bowl, meal time was closer to 5 minutes but I expected the time would speed up a little after Sarge got used to eating around the obstacle course.   What I like most about this specific design is that you can contain all the food right in the middle of the bowl, or really spread it out allowing for a much longer meal.  During meal time, the bowl does get pushed around a few inches, but surprisingly moves much less than his previous bowl which had a rubber ring on the bottom to help prevent wayward bowls.  These bowls are also top-rack dishwasher safe and BPA-free!  This particular one is said to hold up to 5 cups of kibble, but these bowls do come in smaller sizes as well, so I would check all shapes and sizes out to pick one that would suit your pet's needs best.  One of my pet parent's has the Flower bowl and even has hers elevated on top of a milk crate.  These bowls are larger, but can still be placed on top of a bin or stool if you are wanting to elevate it.

I ordered mine through Amazon for only $10, and you can choose from the different bowl shapes and sizes.  Overall, I would definitely recommend the Kyjen Slo-bowls and would certainly get one again if needed.  If your dog is a hungry hippo, check these out!



No comments:

Post a Comment